We make lives better by transforming charities and building stronger communities.
To mobilizes community to execute Radical Renovations, enabling charities to better serve vulnerable populations.
To inspire and empower the renewal of charity physical infrastructure across Canada and beyond.
Every HeroWork chapter delivers on three promises:
We build legacies of infrastructure renewal, creating big social change.
We provide a unique experience of community.
We make participation easy and satisfying.
INTEGRITY is the hallmark of a person who demonstrates sound moral and ethical principles at work.
- We do the right thing.
- We are honest and open.
- We are transparent (say what you mean, do what you say, open access to information).
- We take responsibility for meeting deadlines, taking ownership of your actions and recognizing we contribution to any failure.
- We have professional courage to resolve conflicts as they arise.
- We don’t blame others and quickly own up to your own mistakes.
- We only say things about another person you will say to their face.
“Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not.”
PEOPLE FIRST, we create and cultivate strong team relationships
- We serve as role models.
- We assume competency, commitment and caring on the part of every team member, sponsor, and volunteer.
- We ensure everyone matters and we regard people’s well-being as a priority.
- We invest in others’ growth.
- We look for ways to align people with their strength.
- We reward and recognize team members, volunteers and sponsors.
- We are trusted leaders who are willing to place others’ needs above their own.
“People are an organization’s most valuable resource.”
TEAMWORK the process of working collaboratively with a group of people in order to achieve a goals.
- We work together toward a common vision and goals.
- We encourage open and honest communication that allows everyone to share ideas and opinions without fear.
- We understand our roles and how to contribute to our team’s success.
- We work out problems and disagreements to find win-win solutions.
- We make time to help others.
- We treat people with respect independent of their status or disagreement with us.
“The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team.”
Strategic Plan 2020-23
The HeroWork CEO, in collaboration with the Board of Directors, has developed a Strategic Plan that provides direction for the organization. It includes four primary goals:
DELIVER high quality renovation events that increase the capacity of charitable organizations, making them more effective in helping vulnerable populations;
EXPAND our impact through developing strong partnerships, building awareness, and duplicating our program into new communities;
INSPIRE communities and partners using the strength of our experience and knowledge to create actions that benefit vulnerable populations; and
STRENGTHEN our culture, systems and practices to ensure a progressive and sustainable organization.
the full Strategic Plan
To select projects, we have a comprehensive adjudication process used by staff to review, assess and recommend projects for approval by the HeroWork Board of Directors.
Adjudication criteria for partner charities includes but is not limited to:
- Must be a registered charity that serves vulnerable populations: economically disadvantaged children, youth, families, and adults. Charities that support the arts, sports, or the environment are not eligible.
- The building must be owned by the charity, or, in special cases, can instead have an advantageous long-term lease.
- Must demonstrate financial health and security so that we are confident the infrastructure will continue to serve vulnerable populations.
- Must demonstrate community involvement and support.
- Must have a comprehensive scope of work that is directly connected to long-term vision and strategic plans.
- Demonstrable impact from the renovation on vulnerable populations—economically disadvantaged children, youth, families, and adults.